Friday, February 11, 2011

Crafty McCrafterson....the second.

Before Katie came to visit, I was in a rush to get a few decorations done and up on the walls. I had the stuff I needed for MONTHS....but they just sat there. In a pile. Looking at me with those big dramatic eyes....

Remember when I talked about my big, fat, blank wall {no? oh...well, click on that link, duh}.
Well...its FINALLY got stuff on it.
And you know what...it feels...complete? Maybe?
It feels like maybe I should put some curtains up....or re-stain my kitchen table and I might actually, dare I say....LIKE my house?! Eek. Well, maybe I need to finally like it so we can sell it...that's how it works, right?
In searching for ideas for the big, fat, blank wall.....there seemed to be a trend of silhouettes. Which I love. Love. LOVE. So...in order to recreate my own....I picked up some $2 charger plates {why are they called CHARGER plates anyways? Odd word for big, fat, plastic-y plates} and some white vinyl. I took a picture of each of my kids....putting in the same spot and taking the picture from the same distance away....at least for Aube and Bella. Jax...well...lets say, I did my best and basically free-handedly cut his picture. He's a mover and a shaker, that boy! So don't look to closely at his :|
I printed off the picture I took, cut the silhouette out of that, then traced it the direction I wanted them facing onto the back of the vinyl. Terribly, terribly simple! Seriously....if I can do it, you can do it!
I think they turned out ok. I think on the next one I do, I'll put Bella's hair in a ponytail or something like that. And not make Jax's occipital bone so ginormous.
I found all these frames at the thrift store....of course, where else, right? The middle two are matching....and proof that even the ugliest of frames look uber-cute when you spray paint them! Especially in black.
I think I may add some keys or something to those...but I do like the little splash of off-the-wall color. Taking a step away from all the RED I always put with my black, too...
The lower frame is filled with a Wordle. If you haven't ever done one of these...go to the Wordle website and take a gander...you'll be hooked! I made these for practically everyone for Christmas this year.
My dumpster frame!
We also moved the big desk into the front room, since I'm not working anymore, I dont need an office. And since its got a big, fat, blank spot of its own...I've been trying to come up with things to fill it, too!
Thanks to my sister Jennifer....I was able to put this plaque {hmmm....isnt that the tooth build-up way to say it...can't think of the actual right word...help a sister out...} she made. Thanks Jenner!
I guess you could call the red flower ball....a topiary. I'm getting a big FAIL on descriptions today, aren't I? I blame it on the aspartame too early in the morning.
This topiary...was done by putting a million little circles of felt onto a Styrofoam ball with hot glue. It was hot fun, I tell ya! And there really were a MILLION circles...but the end result....I'm in Love. I think I need to make a few more!
Another section of the still-pretty-bare desk top-top....has this....a {Crap! There is a word for this too....a...a....} Really Large Vase! Gah...I don't care anymore...which is actually my Christmas present from my sis, Kari...gift cards to Hobby Lobby are total perfection!
I modpodged some styrofoam balls and now this is their home. I'm thinking of changing it with each season....maybe something green and glittery for March?
So there you go.
Whenever I have people over and as they are looking at all my crazy crafting displayed on my walls....I think, holy goodness, 95% of my decorations are HANDMADE. Is this good? I dunno....sometimes I feel silly because I'll see something and say, Why buy it?! I can MAKE it!
Ack. It's a sickness!

Now I need to go convince a little man he needs to take a nap...he always does this to me when I have places I need to be! We're now down to 30 minutes, dude!

3 comments:

Jenni said...

All your craftiness makes me want to go home and make things. Alas at the moment my extra income is being spent on a teenager and higher education a deux. Just think of the time and money I will have to make cool stuff of my own in a few years! I will be at your house often for guidance.

Bell Family Blog said...

Such cute things Sarah, love it! I hope to get some ambition one of these days and start making some of these things for myself that I would really like to have in my house, thank goodness you blog about it so I can come back later and see how to do it. :)

Julie said...

Cute! Well, if it's a sickness, I have it too! I say the same thing, "Why pay that price when I can make it for half that or less"