Friday, February 5, 2010

The Almost-Middle Child

That would be Aubree....

She's a demanding little squirt....asking for things CONSTANTLY. I'm just grateful she gets up with James in the mornings and not me (have I mentioned how awesome my  hubs is...he lets me sleep while getting the girls and himself ready for the day)....from what I've heard, she has a list of demands from when she first opens her eyes:
I want....
my diaper changed.
my sparkly skirt.
my orange juice.
my cereal.
my Mulan...or Sleeping Beauty...or Fnona.
my ....my....my ....my.....my....

For awhile there it was driving me NUTSO. Seriously, crazy crazy and I'd get so mad at her. Because when she demands things..it's when I'm OBVIOUSLY doing something and can't get it RIGHT. THAT. MOMENT.
For example:
Mommy is in the shower.....Aube says: "Mommy, I want goldfish in a cup." SERIOUSLY. Aubree...I'm in the SHOWER....does it look like I can't get you goldfish right now????

Blank stare.

So...since I don't really LIKE to be mad at my children on a constant basis (tho they make that task quite hard)...I decided to take the high road, with a simple "ok".
Aube: Mommy, I want pentzels.
Mommy: OK
And she walks off, seeming to forget that she actually asked me something in the first place. I do get a repeat request...but she usually gives me 30 minutes or so inbetween demands. Peachy.

And don't even suggest she say please...or suggest the word NO. No luck. I'm figuring out that it takes about five years to get my children to say please and thank you. Why is this? Bella...she FINALLY started saying please for everything...and I get it for her...she says Thank You. Sweet, sweet bliss...I'm just hoping Aube catches onto that one sooner than later.

Ahh...the joys of Motherhood. It's a good thing I have the type of mind that forgets everthing with a simple: Mommy, I love you. Because even though my almost-middle child may demand the world each and every day...she's never short on the hugs and I Love You's.


Photobucket

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny that you post this today, since I saw her getting out of her bed when I was leaving so I hurried out the door! I'll take care of her tomorrow.

Bell Family Blog said...

Lol! Sarah you sound like me. Chloe is the same way, it must be the age. Sometimes Chloe will ask for something and we have run out of it and then she FREAKS out, but I have discovered that what works for her is all I have to say is "I will get some more at the store." Her tantrum magically stops and she says ok and forgets all about it. Funny girls!

Hannah said...

What a great idea... a simple "Ok" does the trick... hummm...

Oh, and by the way... YEAH FOR THE MIDDLE CHILD (I'm one too!).

Jennifer said...

I am kinda too.. I share it with Em..

Aube is so stinkin cute though.. I think it'd be hard to say no to her.. hehe.. ;)

Krista said...

That sweet little Aube is a squirt??? I don't think so. She's too cute;) I think our kids must need to drive us crazy when we are prego cause mine are driving me insane!!:)

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Naw...preggo or not...they still drive me crazy :) it's just the age and being cooped up in the house b/c of rain!!

Lois Brown said...

Good job figuring out the o.k. answer. With Aileen (disabled child) my children grew up way to fast and always would tell me what I needed to be doing with aileen, like "mom you need to change Aileen's diaper" etc...and I would get so angry and say "Hey, I'm the mother here....." and finally a counselor told me...you taught them to be responsible so now you can't be upset about it. And i already knew that when you said "I'm the mother....." you've already lost the argument. but the counselor told me what you have already learned and that is -- I don't have to do what they say, I just need to say O.k. or great, or thank you and then do whatever I intended to do.....it worked perfect. It let them tell me what they thought i should be doing as they were so responsible it was scary and then they went on happy, and I did what I needed or wanted to do as I was the mother!!!! So cool that you know that without having to go through all the frustration i did! Whoohoo! You are slammin! (was the word?)

Jenni said...

I think the reason babies and little kids are cute is because they would not survive long without that super-cute factor. The super-annoying factor would win.