Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Families are Forever.

I write this blog for many reasons, but I would have to say my #1 reason is to keep family updated on the goings-on of our little Texas family. I try to keep it upbeat and fun, to keep most of the posts clogged with pictures of my girls and our day-to-day. I do this because I know my family reads and I know they feel closer to us because of it...I don't complain, filling cyberspace with woe-is-me, I don't go on blog breaks...because I knew HE was reading, HE was watching, HE was loving every minute. Who is he? He is my PopPop and yesterday Heavenly Father took him back Home.

It would be an understatement to say that the last couple of days have been hard for my family. On Monday night, we were eating dinner at Chili's with James' family and I got a call from my mom saying that Grampa was in the hospital and it didn't look good. At that moment I have never prayed harder for time travel, I've never prayed harder for the hands of time to turn back and for us to still be living in Las Vegas. All I wanted to do is be holding my mom's hand as she drove to the hospital where her father had been admitted. We waited all day Tuesday for news...GOOD news, hoping for recovery, but none came and then I received a call from my dad letting me know that Grampa was gone.

I had a hard time 4 months ago when my Grandma Sargent passed...but I knew in my heart that she was happy and in the arms of her husband up there in paradise. But PopPop's passing isn't feeling quite right in my heart, I know he wouldn't want me to feel that way...but it just feels like it was too soon! I'm sounding a bit selfish, I just can't help that, tho...he's played a big part in my life and I wish I could get one more big hug from him, or maybe a dozen.
What can a person even say?
I've been trying to think of a few things that come to mind when I think of Merlin Jones. He:
*is a hardworker, and passed that trait onto all his children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
*is an avid reader. I've got a whole shelf full of Louis L'Amour books he passed down to me, I can't wait to get started reading them again.
*loved his children. Loved his grand children. And loved his great-grandchildren. To him we were ALL a blessing, and he made us feel loved, each one of us KNEW PopPop loved us.
*is supportive. My sisters and I grew up 3 states away, but even from across those miles, we knew PopPop supported our efforts in sports, band, academics. We received letters and phone calls telling us as much.
*was James' mentor. When we first were married, James and PopPop would sit and have long conversations. He was the one who steered James in the direction of accounting, a profession that keeps our family stable and living comfortably. I'm so grateful to him for those conversations.
*always listened to us. And because of that, when you were with PopPop you always felt special. Even if you weren't his family...thats the one thing I've heard consistently over the past few days...that anyone who was around him felt special.
*especially loved his sweetheart. I know he's up there watching her, making sure she is being taken care of.

I came across this scripture today:
And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.
Alma 40:12
Thank goodness for the Gospel of Jesus Christ, wherein we know that we will all be together again someday. That those that we ache for and love so much are waiting in paradise, resting until we join them. No cares, no sorrows...serving a mission in Heaven for our Heavenly Father. What a blessing this knowledge is.

In talking with my mom today, she made a very wonderful point, one that makes me smile, even thru all the sadness. PopPop is up there with my little Merlin, getting him ready to come down and join our family. Isn't that a vision? The two of them walking hand in hand, a little boy learning so much from such a wise, loving man.

We love you PopPop.
Photobucket

16 comments:

Krista said...

Oh sweetie!! You just made me cry! What a sweet thought of him with your baby boy. I'm glad I got to meet him the last time you were here! I'm so sorry and you will be in my prayers. Love you lots!!

Lois Brown said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! And that is a pretty picture and I have no doubt that they are together right now!

Bell Family Blog said...

Im so sorry Sarah! He sounds like a great man and how amazing it is to think of him and his great grandson together. Love you!

Julie said...

Sorry for your loss Sarah, but again we know that he is so happy where he is! The atonement takes away all sorrow. It is us here on earth that get sad. I too get emotional when I think that Ellie was with my Mom these past few years waiting to join our family and I think oh the stories Ellie could tell, if only she could. Special things, that's for sure. I know your little boy is getting lots of love from him. ;)
My love, thoughts and prayers are with your family...

Cheree said...

I'm so sorry Sarah. I too am thinking about you and your family.

Jennifer said...

Sarah- you are so good with words. I wish I could explain Pop-Pop in the wonderful way you have. He was the best. Thank you for posting such amazing words. I love you. Thank goodness for Eternal Families! :)

Jenny said...

Oh Sarah, I'm so sorry---my heart is breaking for you. I know how hard it is to want just one. more. hug. But even if you aren't able to feel your Grandpa's arms around you, I KNOW that there will be specific times in your life when you will feel the Lord's arms literally encircle you and comfort you in your grief. I love you.

Jenni said...

Grat, I read at work and have tiny tears on my cheeks. It is different for me since I never got to know any of my grandparents very well, but I love the pictures that you shared as well as the ones that you painted with your words. I hope that you feel comforted through this time.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful tribute to your PopPop! YOU HAVE some really great pictures, and they are treasures I am sure! Especially ones with your girls. You are so right about him getting to give your little boy loves and getting him ready to meet his parents and siblings. ;) Jenn

Carol Swift said...

You wrote such a beautiful tribute to him. I'm so sorry for your family's loss.

Hannah said...

Oh my sweet Sarah. You truly are a gifted writer - painting such a beautiful and accurate picture of our sweet Father, Grandfather (pop pop) and Great-Grandfather. He truly did love each of us... individually... and he does continue to watch over us. Thank you. Thank you.

Shannon said...

Oh! I am so sorry Sarah, what a tough time for you. Such a sweet post and so nice that you have so many great memories to keep in your heart of your PopPop.

Christina said...

Oh hun! I am so sorry! My thoughts and prayers are with you! What a sweet/tender thought of your PopPop with your new little one! *tears*

Colton Anne said...

K...you weren't supposed to make me cry today Sarah!! :) My heart really does go out to your whole family! I know how close you guys were/are to Gma and Gpa Jones. I hope you find comfort in the little things in life about his passing. He is in a better place and it seems like forever when we get to see them again, but these sweet little moments we get in life after their passing when we see things that remind us of them or we sit and talk about his/her life are such huge blessing to keep their remembrance in our lives now until we do get to meet again! Lots of love to you and I hope you are feeling well!

Kristy said...

I am so sorry, Sarah! I love that first picture you posted, it is so beautiful and tender.

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

What a sweet image of your little boy and his PopPop. You wrote such a beautiful tribute to him. I'm so sorry for your loss, and am thinking about you and your family.