Wednesday, February 24, 2010

So, I'll start with the Funeral...

I'm working a little backwards here in the timeline...AND...oh my...AND...I only took THREE PICTURES during this trip. Shocker...I was completely baffled when I looked at my camera and it makes me so sad! Actually, I did take a ton of pictures...they just happen to be on my dad's camera (he's got a sweet camera). So, I'm (im)patiently waiting to get copies of those. Ü

I flew out at 6am on Friday morning and arrived in Las Vegas in time for breakfast! The flight went well...my boy kicked me the ENTIRE flight...I couldn't decide if he liked to fly, or if he was ticked. But it was a crowded flight, it always amazes me how many people go to Vegas....and you can just feel their excited vibe, it's pretty cool. Friday just consisted of spending time with Grams and dusting her house a bit, running errands, hugging my mom, and just helping get things ready.
Saturday was the funeral...we had most of the day to prepare, with the viewing at 3pm and the funeral at 5pm. One thing I loved helping prepare was the the pictures of PopPop...seeing his life and the love he felt for us all was such a wonderful thing! It helped seeing those pictures. The mortuary people did such a wonderful job on him, he looked so peaceful with a hint of a smile. They did such a good job in fact, that it almost felt like he would sit up and say "How's my Sarah-bear doing?"
I was reminded at how much PopPop had a sense of humor. He had left instructions as to what was to be done at his funeral....such as it wasn't to be longer than an hour, more than half should be singing and no long tributes "If they knew me, then knew my accomplishments, and if they didn't know me, they'd just be bored." But I think we all did a good job remembering him and sticking to his wishes. What a wonderful man! Everyone who came had their own story about Brother Jones...

And we, as his family, are his legacy. He taught his children to love and to be faithful, intelligent people....and because of his wonderful example to them, his grandchildren are filled with integrity and that love that was passed on.
We all stayed one more night in Vegas. Then headed up to Springville, Utah for the burial.

I had to snap one picture on our way out of town of NewYork NewYork where I used to work at the spa...can't say I miss it, but I'm always amazed at what work is put into these hotels to make them one of a  kind.
We lucky enough to be able to stay all together in a hotel close to the gravesite. It was so nice to take the little time we had and spend it together as a family.
The grave dedication was short and sweet (thank goodness, since it was freezing cold outside). My sisters and I sang the song "Each life that touches ours for good." Then the grave was blessed.

This is Laura's baby, Carl...totally won us all over with his little jibberjabber.
It was a wonderful weekend, despite the circumstances. Being able to pay tribute to PopPop....part of that being the time we spent together as a family, remembering and laughing. He would have loved that!

4 comments:

Carol Swift said...

Nice photo of your family! So sorry about your grandfather.

Cheree said...

You really should write a book - you really have a gift for words.
You have, and are part of, such a beautiful family!

The Funeral Lady said...

What a lovely post! Thank you for sharing the funeral story with us and the song link is quite lovely. I hadn't heard that song before, it's quite a tribute to your family and your grandfather.

Krista said...

That's so nice that you were able to be able to just be with your family! Nice post.