Monday, January 11, 2010

And the "Worst Bathroom" Award goes to...

MINE!

So...in a month, my inlaws are descending on me to throw me a baby shower (and no, that's not like DESCENDING...but like 'descending like angels from Heaven'. I love them!). And I've made a list of home improvement/redecorating projects to get done in that month. One of which includes: MY BATHROOM....gag. Seriously. If there was an award out there for ugliest, most out-dated bathroom...I would win it. I've wanted to submit pictures to HGTV or something, but they never seem to be hosting any of those cool shows in the Dallas area, bummer.

Our house was built in 1955 and it shows, from the wood paneling to the stone wall to the stone planters to the cracking walls and ancient, broken furnace (I hate you, too, furnace) to the smell that you smell when walking in after being gone for a week...it's OLD. The previous owners did the best they could in their own ghetto-way...I guess they told themselves to just not look that closely, or maybe I'm just picky?? Who knows. It's definitely the epitomy of a "first home" and now I know what I want in my second home!

I've never done anything with this bathroom, mainly because I've just been at a loss as to what to do. After taking the wallpaper off the kitchen walls and re-painting the kitchen, I didn't want to EVER tackle another wallpaper project again. But, 2 years later...I cannot stand it anymore and I want that wallpaper OFF...it just doesn't go with anything...the best I could do is a lighthouse curtain/theme, with no hope of changing it...what matches with blue plaid? So, guess what I'll be doing in the coming weeks...hoping it only takes me a week or two. The trauma of the kitchen project still lingers.... Ü

So, here it is...another thing that is hard to work with is the blue tile...and the pink sink, along with the pink tub...and yes...that's some sort of heater, don't quite know how to use it...right now it just sends a chilly draft into the room! If I knew what I was doing, and wasn't so afraid of what I'd find BEHIND the tile...I'd take a sledge hammer to it and put down some linoleum.
There are two things I DO like, one is the trim around the mirror and above the top of the tub (shocker, I know...I actually like something...). Of course, it needs a touch up of paint, as do the cabinets and drawers...but thats easy!

See....lighthouses....makes me feel old. But notice...our tub is made for short people, lol. Poor James' head probably touches the ceiling when he showers...it's like a cave! lol.
The heater....this past week has been very cold...so it would be nice to know how it works!
Blue tile...matches the blue plaid...but thats just ALOT of plaid! The other thing I like is the amount of space...counter-wise, the two cabinets and the 8 drawers. We don't use all of it so far (tho, when Emily lived with us, she used the space!) but if (heaven forbid) the girls use this bathroom as teenagers with their hair products, curling irons and makeup...there would be PLENTY of room! I've been trying to decide what to do after I take the wallpaper off...
Option #1: paint the walls white....problem: the white-white paint may just increase the dingy-look of the white-ish tile on the walls.
Option #2: paint the walls this neutral tan color I have on the rest of my house. Problem: don't quite know if it will compliment the blue and pink (PINK!, for goodness sake).
I would love to do another color...but then again, the problem with anything matching blue and pink...and I don't dare try to match the blue, cause who knows if it would work!

I've also been looking for a new shower curtain...something that kinda matches...
This one I LOVE....the tree's are just too cute. Don't know if it would exactly GO...but it's just so dern cute!This one is my 2nd runner-up...I found it randomly on the Target website. I'm not a big fan of paisley...but it has the pink and the blue...and it's just wild enough to catch my fancy. But of course...this is 'James' bathroom'...he's a sweetie and gets ready for work in this bathroom b/c the bathroom in our room doesn't have a door...and he knows I need my sleep.
Which is why I should probably go with something more bland like stripes or a solid color....but after hating this bathroom for so long...I'd like to have some fun with it! After putting in the work to remove the wallpaper and repaint everything...there needs to be some FUN left! Ü

8 comments:

JanEllenSanders said...

Either one of those shower curtains would TOTALLY change the appearance of your bathroom. I love them both...Although I have never been as bold but I do love them! The one from Target would totally go in my bathroom! I might have to look for it!!

craftyashley said...

I love that tree shower curtain! GET THAT ONE! And then snag one of the colors from it, like one of the neutral green/yellows/etc. Gorgeous!
And btw, I love the vintage charm of that bathroom!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Vintage Charm...I like the sound of that ;).

Anonymous said...

I already told you that I don't care what the shower curtain looks like. I wouldn't care if the whole bathroom were pink, glitter came out of the showerhead, and princess songs played in the background. Okay, I wouldn't like the glitter thing, but seriously...to me, it's just a bathroom. Do whatever you want with it. You have good taste.

Cheree said...

Interpreting for James “so long as you don’t ask ME to paint!” Just kidding. :)
Whatever you do will be wonderful. I too hate wallpaper – I like to change it up too often to have wallpaper.
That is indeed a heater there in your bathroom. Do you have gas? (i.e. do you pay a gas bill)? If so, turn the heater on (just a little!) and see if you hear gas. Then you light it with a lighter. A bit scary when you do it at first. If you don’t hear gas then it might be disconnected. If you do hear gas, it can be nice, but can also be dangerous with kiddoes. Invite us over sometime and I’ll make Tony look at it for ya (wink, wink) :)

Jenni said...

Talk to Bonnie. They just redid the bathroom in their house and it MAUVE tile everywhere and they got it all recovered and the sink and bathtub too. It looks so much nicer.

Jenny said...

No, I think glittery showerhead is a great idea---one that you should run with, Sarah.

I can't wait to see what you come up with! You're so talented with this stuff. I love both shower curtains, but if you wanted to wait awhile to tackle the blue/pink tile, the second one would work perfectly--and it's SO DANG CUTE!

Lois Brown said...

I love either shower curtain and either would totally change the look. And i love that you have a lot of space in that bathroom! I'm an antiquing kind of person so I would love this bathroom!