Monday, March 1, 2010

A {Haunted} Valentine's Dinner

For Valentines Day this year, and since we would have family in town, I wanted to do something a bit different. Well, maybe different isn't the right word, just not Chili's Ü (which is our go-to place when we get together...not that I don't loooove me some Chili's...). Well, I looked around, and if we all could have afforded it, we would have ended up at Texas de Brazil (yum). But I knew we couldn't afford $40 a plate, so I remembered a place that I have been wanting to go to ever since I saw it on the Travel Channel. It's called The Catfish Plantation and it's HAUNTED. haha. Yup, we must be a morbid couple..since last year we went and saw My Bloody Valentine for our Vday treat....and now we drove everyone 40 minutes down to a haunted restaurant.
It's this quaint little house...located on a back road of a neighborhood that is eery itself. The house are all these old, beautiful Victorians....such a site. This house actually reminded me of our last house in Sikeston (built in 1905)...with high ceilings, dark wood and pretty stained glass here and there.
It's all in the gimmick...but they do their best to make you feel like there is a 'presence' there.
This is us waiting for a table....you can't see it but right behind the person taking a picture is this white door that leads into one of the many dining room...and every once in awhile it will just swing back and forth, like someone has come in or gone out. At first it's like 'oh crap' but then you realize that it swings like that every time another door is opened or someone walks into the waiting area. lol. Phew Ü.
As it turned out...this place had THE BEST CATFISH I have ever tasted. And I'm not a fish fan....I mostly think catfish tastes like dirt....but their recipe was just divine! There was a couple we met in the waiting area that said they drive for an hour just to eat the catfish at this place....and that the fact that it's haunted makes it just that much more fun. I couldn't agree more!
I would highly suggest this place if you are in the mood for a eclectic atmostphere and some yummy catfish at a great price (Uncle Josh got an unlimited catfish plate for $17ish). Maybe you'll get lucky and the male ghost that resides at the house will flirt with you by brushing your hair back or touching your knee Ü.
Photobucket

4 comments:

Jenni said...

I'm not big on seafood but that looks too fun not to try sometime.

Simply Sarah *K* said...

They also have chicken fried steak that was yummy!! :)

Hannah said...

Maybe we can go there sometime... right after you get out of the hospital with sweet baby boy?? haha... jk... really!! I hope we can drive out to see you as a family this summer. Then we can all go, right? Love you!! Sure looks like you had a ton of fun!

Kari said...

OK so I look really tired in all those pictures. Man!!