Thursday, November 27, 2008

Tradition

The tradition of Thanksgiving day has many associations....we think of family, friends, struggling Pilgrims, heaping plates of food, crowded airports, blowout sales...but hopefully, among all these other things....we give this day the thought it deserves, of actual Thanks Giving.
I love traditions....I remember thanksgiving dinner at Grandma Sargent's house when I was young....cousins playing hide and go seek in the deepest corners of the basement. I love the tradition of families gathering together...we've gone from the days of large groups to the smallest it's ever been...just the four of us. But that is where I will start my Thankful list today:
~I'm grateful for this holiday season, we are celebrating in small number because we have chosen not to travel this year....but I couldn't ask for a better group than my darling husband and lovely girls. But I'm not ashamed to say, I have already shed tears today thinking of family far away.
~I'm grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ....and it's power to bind my family together for eternity....helping to fill the miles that separates us. Because even though they are far away, there is this connection that I feel in my bones, something so strong that cannot be broken.
~I'm grateful for my mother and father, the life lessons they taught me early on that I draw from daily. I'm thankful for the decisions they make, especially at the beginning...I'm thankful that they chose to live the gospel, to teach us as children and I'm thankful they keep teaching us daily with their loving examples.
~I'm grateful for Laura, Jennifer, Emily, Hannah and Bubba. It's a blessing to be their sister, to support and love them...and in return receive their love and support. I couldn't ask for better siblings. And I'm excited for the day when holidays aren't spent so far apart!
~I'm grateful for the family I married into, for their love and acceptance....I am their daughter, sister and confidant. For over 7 years I have been part of their family and not once have I ever not called them Mom, Dad, brother, sister. I'm thankful for that and miss them all dearly.
~I'm grateful for Grandparents, for their strength and fortitude...for starting the traditions I still use. I remember hugs from my Grams and PopPop...we never got enough holidays together, so the ones we DID get are lovingly remembered.
~I'm thankful for friends, both old and new. For their support and loyalty!
~I'm thankful for the necessities of life I am so freely given, for good jobs for both my husband and I. I take alot of it for granted, but my heart really is so filled with gratitude for a home, food, clothing....the daily things.

The list could go on and on.....but I'll leave it at that. It's the small and simple things that make life great. I'm excited for this holiday season...to keep the traditions in place for growing family. I pray that the Thanksgiving spirit will rest in everyone's soul today and that those who need it will receive comfort in their hearts.

4 comments:

Krista said...

Happy Thanksgiving!! Love ya.

Ashley said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Great post!
Hope y'all have a wonderful holiday!

Shannon said...

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Hannah said...

Once again, I am amazed at how well you write! Wow! I am very thankful for you as my oldest daughter!! Love you!!