Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Years!

I hope everyone had a wonderful New Year's Eve...I offered to work, since James and I never really do anything for NYE....and I'm happy that I didn't see any of your names pop up at any of my ER's! Ü

2009 wasn't too shabby of a year...but I hope that 2010 is better! At work last night, my boss was bringing up some "traditions" that countries all over the world do to bring in good luck. Some were pretty hilarious (please forgive me that I don't remember the exact countries)....such as throwing bread or cake on the outside of your windows and doors of your house to make sure all the blessings stay inside. I thought that's just too much of a waste of cake! lol. I thought the "first footing" superstition was funny: The first person to enter your home after the stroke of midnight will influence the year you're about to have. He should be dark-haired, good looking and tall. It would be better if he came bearing gifts, such as a lump of coal, a silver coin, or a sprig of evergreen. Blonde and redheaded first footers bring bad luck, and female first footers should be shooed away before they bring disaster down on the household. And we all loved this one: Nothing -absolutely nothing - is to leave the house on the first day of the new year. Don't so much as take the garbage out or shake out a rug. And don't do any laundry, lest a family member be "washed away" in the upcoming months. The more cautious won't even wash dishes. We also talked about the different color of undies to wear when bring in the New Year....such as red for more passion or yellow for more money.
So...in summary Ü....eat your cake (please don't throw it on your windows...but maybe a food fight might be fun), don't have any visitors, don't clean your house or wash your dishes, and wear some festive undies. That sounds like James' perfect day!! lol

For the past few years, I've made New Year's resolutions...I love having something to work towards. But usually it's all "DUH" stuff...like, duh, I should be doing that stuff anyways. But ever since last year, when choosing one word for yourself was all the rage...I've been thinking off and on, what would MY word be. This inspirational post from last year is truly worth a read.
I love her word: CHOOSE. It brings up a plethora of ways to get through life and truly be in charge of it. If WE choose what to do and where to be, then we can't blame the world around us if we fail, it's all on our shoulders.
But eh...I wanted my OWN word. And with this new bundle of baby boy joy on the way...I want that word to be NURTURE. I want to nurture those around me. I want to nurture my relationship with my children, my relationship with my husband, my relationship with my Savior, my relationship with my family and my relationship with myself. I want to nurture my ability to craft, I want to nurture those around me in my calling at church. With a little bit of nurturing, even the ugliest seed can grow and become something beautiful.

What's your word? When you find it...keep it close to your heart, as I intend to do. Print it out on a piece of paper, carve it in some wood, cross-stitch it, applique it...display it somewhere that you'll see it everyday and remind yourself of where you want to be in your life.

I hope the new year brings peace, love and joy for all of you and I hope to find those things this year within my own family and even better.....within myself.
Big hugs!
Photobucket

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I love it. It almost inspires me to have a better attitude. I was asked what resolutions I had made and I replied, "none, that way no one will be dissappointed."