Saturday, January 23, 2010

My favorite kind of makeover....

Seriously...I think that if I was ever given an actual REAL makeover, it wouldn't do much or I wouldn't know what to do with it! lol. Ü And since I'll probably never be privy to a makeover....I'll stick to making over furniture! I really love to re-create things...add a little spray paint and maybe some fabric and voila!

I looked around our house the other day and could only count 4 things that we have ever bought new....a bookshelf (present from James 8 years ago), our bed, tv and a desk. Do I wish we had brand new everything? Yes. Do I want to pay a brand new price? No. Ü We recently bought a new-to-us couch from a friend and I couldn't be happier! I guess it's just learning to be happy with what we have till it can be something different, right?

A few weeks ago, we were driving to church and noticed that our neighbor had a bunch of furniture in his front yard with a big "FREE" sign. So, I made  asked James to go and check out the stuff and bring it home. Our neighbor nicely agreed to take the sign down and to wait till after church to help James bring it over to the house....this way James wouldn't get his pretty white shirt dirty. None of it was in the best condition (the 4 chairs, table and recliner)...and really, the chairs were just downright gross. So...what to do? Spray paint and re-cover!

I had to take them apart and clean them...and TRY to sand them down. Sanding didn't work too well, I just don't have the patience for it...so the spray painting looks kinda funky...plus, I did the first ones when it was cold outside...whoops. I read the directions on the can...yeah...you're supposed to spray paint in temps from 60-80 degrees. But since I still have 2 more chairs to do, the first ones are going to have to be re-spray painted at a later (warmer) date.

For some reason, I always go with black....I guess it started with the black couches (which are now no more! yay! I have a RED couch now...*SIGH*). But I love this damask print, which looks so lovely with a red table cloth!
I can't say I really know how to recover anything...I just cut the fabric to the right size and staple away. I love my staple gun...it's so handy. And it scares my girls.... which is funny all in itself!

And the after picture....well, pre-after, since as you can see...the spray paint job stunk and needs to be redone...but I'm living with it for now and moving on to one the other 100 projects I have to do Ü! I think they look quite snazzy...have I mentioned I LOVE this print...totally using it in one of those other projects mentioned.

Photobucket

10 comments:

Shannon said...

I love love love it! I have the hardest time spray painting things, b/c I just don't seem to get it right, this looks fantastic! I have a bench I have been putting off recovering, but maybe I should give it a whirl!

Shannon said...

Oh, and I want to see the couch!

Julie said...

I love damask too! Great job, looks awesome!

Jenni said...

These are looking so good. You are inspiring me to see what I can create (or re-create) around here.

craftyashley said...

The finished product looks amazing! Way to go!

Krista said...

Love it!! The material looks awesome!! And I so remember when you got those black couches. They were so comfy;) I want to see your new couch too!

Jenny said...

I love it! The black and damask looks wonderful and I'm looking forward to seeing the red couch and recliner!

Christina said...

Can you come and teach me all you know?! Sheesh...every time I come and check your blog you have YET AGAIN done something AMAZING!!! I am LOVING the chairs! WAY TO GO!! Martha Stewart LOOK OUT!!!

Colton Anne said...

Way cute! I love it! Who knew free could be so cute!! :)

Lois Brown said...

Wow gorgeous!